[Taxacom] Earth BioGenome Project in the news

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 17:20:44 CDT 2018

Dear Taxacomers,

I heard a news item this morning in Australia regarding the Earth BioGenome
Project which appears to be having some sort of launch around now.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/researchers-launch-plan-sequence-66000-species-united-kingdom-s-just-start

https://www.sanger.ac.uk/news/view/genetic-code-66000-uk-species-be-sequenced

referring back to this April 2018 article:
http://www.pnas.org/content/115/17/4325.long

My take is that this is of relevance to the taxonomic community in a number
of ways - e.g. to reveal cryptic species, other taxa that may in fact be
the same, etc. etc. - as well as drawing heavily on the work of taxonomists
to date (although a lot of the species-intensive inventorying is likely to
be in the out years). I'd be interested to hear how others in the taxonomy
world are viewing this...

Regards to all - Tony

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees