[Taxacom] A question regarding attribution of the name Homo erectus

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 14:52:57 CDT 2018

Dear all,

The name "Homo erectus" is often attributed to (Dubois, 1894) but some
sources currently also cite the year as 1892 and 1893. Apparently Dubois
published his paper "Pithecanthropus erectus, eine menschenaehnliche
Uebergangsform aus Java" in 1894 although he had earlier (1892 and 1893)
attributed the material to Anthropithecus (as "Anthropithecus erectus"), a
fossil chimpanzee. (There may be more information in the German 1894 paper
but maybe not; it is available on BHL at
https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/42053756 for those who are
interested). However it is not clear to me whether the original 1892 and
1893 usages were actually published in a formal sense (they were possibly
passing mentions in a report; there is also a facsimile of some ms notes
from 1893 available on the web in which he changes the genus name for the
first time).

If anyone fancies a bit of sleuthing and can provide more information that
would indicate the correct date for the first usage of "erectus" in this
context for nomenclatural purposes, I would appreciate it.

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees