[Taxacom] Thousands of holotype burn

Peter Rauch peterar at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 5 10:17:37 CDT 2018

Keeping in mind Mike Ivie's exhortation, "Goodness guys, can' we have a
period of mourning before the snits start?", but listening to some of the
U.S. TV news reporting on the "event" and the normal penchant to identify
"guilty parties", and pondering for a moment the years now that the world
has been wrestling with various countries' notions of "national patrimony"
relating to their biota, their collections of the same, and further the
commercial (to say nothing of scientific) implications that modern genetics
has given those collections and to still-extant living (local)
biodiversity, I wonder ...

What are, what should be, the political implications and ramifications of
such catastrophic events, nationally, internationally ?

Can the world afford even one more such event?

Does it even matter --we're doing such a great job of destroying Earth's
and Humanity's Future everywhere; who cares about one museum's worth to
Humanity?

Lots of individual tradegies erupted in a few moments for a great many who
are/were deeply dedicated to the enlightenment of the World, each shining a
bright light into the future. What does the world (of politics) owe them
and all?

Peter