[Taxacom] Ozymandias - another GBIF Challenge entry

Roderic Page Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 03:21:02 CDT 2018

Following on from David Shorthouse’s post about his cool tool to link specimen collectors and identifiers to ORCIDs, my own entry to the GBIF challenge also focusses on linking things to identifiers. It comes are the problem from a different angle, taking lots of data from a veritable acronym soup of sources (ALA, AFD, BHL, BLR, BioStor, Wikispecies, Wikidata, JSTOR, CrossRef) and munching it all together.

The result can be seen at https://ozymandias-demo.herokuapp.com/ and there is a video explanation at https://vimeo.com/285864743

Consistent with the hubris implied by the name, I’m hoping to extend this to cover more kinds of data, including sequences and specimens, and also more taxa.

Now that David and I have owned up, anyone else have an entry to the challenge they’d like to share?

Regards,

Rod

[University of Glasgow: The Times Scottish University of the Year 2018]