[Taxacom] Biogeography in a National Park

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 10:05:11 CDT 2019

Anyone interested in a copy of the following article (or the entire
newsletter) please let me know.

Grehan, J.R. 2019. Mountains and glaciers: biogeography in Westland Tai
Poutini National Park. Botanical Society of Otago Newsletter 87: 12-16.

Excerpt:
At Franz Josef I was immersed within a biogeographic landscape brought into
sharp topographic relief, and surrounded by evidence of evolutionary
continuity
from Mesozoic time. I was also fortunate that the Chief Ranger, Murray
Ready, was not at all perturbed by my lack of evolutionary orthodoxy.
Indeed, he
facilitated a meeting with the Rt. Hon. Helen Clark, Minister of
Conservation, during her visit to the region. I presented many examples of
alignment
between Earth and life, and showed how this information enhanced
conservation values for the region and New Zealand in general. She readily
appreciated the evidence and was receptive to its potential for
conservation. Unfortunately the government's science directorate was not
so receptive. I was disappointed at the time, but I am now more aware of
the difficulties in advocating new ideas against a century of established
consensus.