[Taxacom] Darwin's Doubt

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Mon Mar 11 07:52:09 CDT 2019

On 10-Mar.-19 9:17 p.m., Kenneth Kinman wrote:

> Challenging intelligent design by a "creator" is very difficult when it comes to the origin of life (and its biochemistry)....

> From:  David Campbell <pleuronaia at gmail.com>

> "Intelligent Design" is highly challenging to deal with because it's quite
> protean....

> On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 6:08 PM John Grehan <calabar.john at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what there is to discuss - scientifically that is.

* thanks for these general thoughts on Intelligent Design - but I was
wondering about commentary on this particular book, and its assertions
about the Cambrian diversification of Animal phyla, and more
particularly on the general ID assertion that there hasn't been
sufficient time for mutations to originate and be organized into
adaptations by natural selection. This seems absurd to me, but ID sorts
constantly make it. Rather than seeing the punctuations of punk-eek as
the Red Queen unleashed by a lack of stabilizing selection, they affirm
that this is the finger of God poking lineages along in a divine
direction, and that anything that can be observed to happen isn't
"macro" enough to count as real evolutionary change. I wonder if there's
a published straight-on refutation of this?

If there isn't, I'll chew my way through the book, and see where it
goes. So far, I think it's charming the way the author blames Darwin for
not being up on all the nuances of the evolution of protein folding...

fred.

>>> Taxacomers,
>>>
>>> I'm in a discussion group with some intelligent design enthusiasts, and
>>> this week we're going to be discussing "Darwin's Doubt: The Explosive
>>> Origin of Animal Life and the Case for Intelligent Design" -
>>> https://darwinsdoubt.com/ - which seems to me so far to be based on the
>>> argument from personal incredulity, but I don't know much about the
>>> evolution of protein folding, and I wonder what others have thought
>>> about this. I have seen this book called "a masterwork of
>>> pseudoscience," and it doesn't seem to explore the Great Unconformity,
>>> or the selection pressures that would have been present on an unsettled
>>> animate morphology moving into a completely vacant niche space... - fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://www.facebook.com/MudpuppyNight/
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W