[Taxacom] Darwin's Doubt

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 12 20:24:02 CDT 2019

Dear All,
       Here is a weblink to a paper published in 2017 ("First macrobiota biomineralization was environmentally triggered") which states that "Our findings support the assertion that the calcification was an independent and derived feature that appeared in diverse groups where an organic scaffold was the primitive character, which provided the framework for interactions between the extracellular matrix and mineral ions."
       Therefore, a relatively sudden explosion of hard parts occurred in a variety of different animal phyla that were previously soft-bodied, and predator pressures then escalated the numbers of other taxa needing the protection of hard parts from predators with hardened mouthparts.  It was a sort of "arms race".
            https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2017.0059