[Taxacom] Happy Taxonomist Appreciation Day!

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Tue Mar 19 15:48:54 CDT 2019

On 19-Mar.-19 1:47 p.m., Richard Pyle wrote:

> Just sayin'...

If it wasn't for the namers what would we do,
We wouldn't have names both short and true,
We couldn't specify a creature in a word or two,
If it wasn't for the work of the namers.

If it wasn't for the namers you'd just shrug
and call every crawling thing a bug.
Nothing makes a person a more perfect mug
than to disregard the work of the namers.*

If it wasn't for the namers where would we be,
We wouldn't have synonymy,
Each would use his favourite name and all would disagree,
If it wasn't for the work of the namers.

If it wasn't for the namers we wouldn't know,
To regard Sorex as a Shrew,
We wouldn't know cinereus from fumeus and you,
Would simply scream "A shrewmouse there, step on it!"

If it wasn't for the namers where'd we begin
to know who was kith and kin?
There would be no way to know which clade we're in
if it wasn't for the work of the namers.*

If it wasn't for the namers what would we do,
We wouldn't have names both short and true,
We couldn't specify a creature in a word or two,
If it wasn't for the work of the namers.

*'d verses, June 2013, Gagetown bioblitz. -
https://bioblitznb.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/a-poem-by-fred-schueler/comment-page-1/

On the way back from Wawa, Ontario (6 October 2000 - the day we drove
for 20 hrs) - to the tune of "If it was na'for the wark o' the weavers.
- to the tune of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_fIy5zgv0&fbclid=IwAR0iiTXIRKe86TuJvpohFfNvKLkjQ15vsiX5llL2LLPl09omzY7lThnWaFU

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://www.facebook.com/MudpuppyNight/
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W