[Taxacom] Tectonic uplift as a mjor evolutionary process

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 22 19:36:55 CDT 2019

John,
        What is metaphysical about it???  Millipedes love mosses.  It is not only used for food, but shelter as well.  And since early bryophytes evolved from green algae, millipede ancestors likely consumed and sought shelter in green algal mats.  Therefore, it is not surprising that millipedes were among the first animals to invade land.
        So I see this as a slow, but active, invasion (not due to being passively thrust up out of the water and managing to adapt).  Passive uplift certainly seems to have effects on plant and animal life later on (during mountain building), but I see no reason to think it had much (if any) to do with the invasion (active, not passive) of land by animals and plants.