[Taxacom] Nepal and Tibet locality location question

Adam Cotton adamcot at cscoms.com
Thu May 16 13:24:11 CDT 2019

On 17-05-2019 00:36, David Boufford via Taxacom wrote:
 > Hi John,
 >
 > Answers to your questions for the places in Tibet
 > .
 > Tibet Tsangpo Valley [Yarlung Zangbo River?] -- Yes
 >
 >   'Nyima La' -- = Nyalam, 28°09'16.5"N 85°59'02.3"E -- I think this
is the
 > place.  It's on one of the few roads from Tibet into Nepal.
 >
 >   Dave

I agree with the first part, but am less certain that 'Nyima La' is Nyalam.

"La" means Pass in Tibet, so the place could be Nyima Pass, rather than
Nyalam. John found "Nyima county [Nagqu]" and it is possible the
locality is a pass in or leading to the county. It is worth noting that
Nyalam is not on the Yarlung Tsangpo river, which also suggests that
this town near the border with Nepal is not the correct locality.

There are also issues with spelling of Tibetan place names, as they can
be spelt the Tibetan or the Han Chinese way, and many places have
different names in both languages as well.

Adam.