[Taxacom] More fairy tales from evolution

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Tue May 28 13:52:44 CDT 2019

Evolution is definitely not a science. Its all about fairy tails (pun
intended). Here's the latest. The sooner we get honest to good fairy tails
(Creationism) in our schools the better. At least they are honest about
miracles. Good grief.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/exploding-stars-led-to-humans-walking-on-two-legs-radical-study-suggests/ar-AAC25BS?li=BBnbcA1

According to the researchers, a series of stars in our corner of the Milky
Way exploded in a cosmic riot that began about 7m years ago and continued
for millions of years more. The supernovae blasted powerful cosmic rays in
all directions. On Earth, the radiation arriving from the cataclysmic
explosions peaked about 2.6m years ago.

The surge of radiation triggered a chain of events, the scientists argue.
As cosmic rays battered the planet, they ionised the atmosphere and made it
more conductive. This could have ramped up the frequency of lightning
strikes, sending wildfires raging through African forests, and making way
for grasslands, they write in the Journal of Geology. With fewer trees at
hand in the aftermath, our ancient ancestors adapted, and those who walked
upright thrived.

That, at least, is the thinking. In the history of human evolution, walking
upright dates back at least 6m years to Sahelanthropus, an ancient species
with both ape and human features discovered from fossil remains found in
Chad. One prominent theory is that climate change transformed the
landscape, leaving savannah where trees once stood.

One of the study’s authors, Adrian Melott of the University of Kansas, said
ancient human relatives were already dabbling with standing upright before
the effects of any supernovae took hold. But he believes the violent
explosions still played a role. “Bipedalism had already gotten started, but
we think this may have given it a strong shot in the arm,” he said.

“Lightning has long been thought to be the primary cause of fires before
humans had a role, and with a lot of fires you get the destruction of a lot
of habitat,” Melott said. “When the forests are replaced with grasslands,
it then becomes an advantage to stand upright, so you can walk from tree to
tree, and see over the tall grass for predators.”

The cosmic rays from one star known to have exploded about 164 light years
from Earth would have increased the ionisation of the atmosphere 50-fold,
the scientists calculate. Cosmic rays ionise the atmosphere when they knock
electrons out of the atoms and molecules they slam into in the air. Cosmic
rays normally only ionise the upper reaches of the atmosphere, but powerful
ones from nearby supernovae can penetrate the entire depth of the
atmosphere, ionising it all the way to the ground. “We are sure this would
have increased lightning strikes, but lightning initiation is not well
understood, so we cannot put a number on it,” Melott said.