[Taxacom] Taxacom Digest, Vol 157, Issue 11

Carlos Alberto Martínez Muñoz biotemail at gmail.com
Thu May 30 04:52:09 CDT 2019


Dear taxacomers,
I think that we should have a rule of not allowing advertising of courses
through this mailing list when such courses don't include pricing
information. The practice is unfair and consumes additional time from all
the readers, by making us click a link, read again and find exhorbitant
prices at the very end of the page. Pricing is an essential information,
just like course content, schedule, etc. On the other hand, with the Open
Access revolution more and more open educational resources appear every
year, including  massive open online courses (MOOC). Whenever you or your
students need a course, it is useful to search for a MOOC first.
Warm regards,

-- 
Carlos A. Martínez Muñoz
Zoological Museum, Biodiversity Unit
FI-20014 University of Turku
Finland
ResearchGate profile
<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Carlos_Martinez-Munoz>
Publons profile
<https://publons.com/author/1324309/carlos-alberto-martinez-munoz#profile>
Myriapod Morphology and Evolution
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/205802113162102/>


El mié., 29 may. 2019 a las 20:00, <taxacom-request at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
escribió:

> Daily News from the Taxacom Mailing List
>
> When responding to a message, please do not copy the entire digest into
> your reply.
> ____________________________________
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. More fairy tales from evolution (John Grehan)
>    2. Re: More fairy tales from evolution (Kenneth Kinman)
>    3. Re: More fairy tales from evolution (John Grehan)
>    4. Writing for Impact and Influence: An AIBS Professional
>       Development Program (Jyotsna Pandey)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 14:52:44 -0400
> From: John Grehan <calabar.john at gmail.com>
> To: taxacom <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
> Subject: [Taxacom] More fairy tales from evolution
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CADN0ud00HOd5S3sKV7DfdHgdpc3RTSkM9geQsTTnas4LjMiC8w at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Evolution is definitely not a science. Its all about fairy tails (pun
> intended). Here's the latest. The sooner we get honest to good fairy tails
> (Creationism) in our schools the better. At least they are honest about
> miracles. Good grief.
>
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/exploding-stars-led-to-humans-walking-on-two-legs-radical-study-suggests/ar-AAC25BS?li=BBnbcA1
>
>
> According to the researchers, a series of stars in our corner of the Milky
> Way exploded in a cosmic riot that began about 7m years ago and continued
> for millions of years more. The supernovae blasted powerful cosmic rays in
> all directions. On Earth, the radiation arriving from the cataclysmic
> explosions peaked about 2.6m years ago.
>
> The surge of radiation triggered a chain of events, the scientists argue.
> As cosmic rays battered the planet, they ionised the atmosphere and made it
> more conductive. This could have ramped up the frequency of lightning
> strikes, sending wildfires raging through African forests, and making way
> for grasslands, they write in the Journal of Geology. With fewer trees at
> hand in the aftermath, our ancient ancestors adapted, and those who walked
> upright thrived.
>
> That, at least, is the thinking. In the history of human evolution, walking
> upright dates back at least 6m years to Sahelanthropus, an ancient species
> with both ape and human features discovered from fossil remains found in
> Chad. One prominent theory is that climate change transformed the
> landscape, leaving savannah where trees once stood.
>
> One of the study’s authors, Adrian Melott of the University of Kansas, said
> ancient human relatives were already dabbling with standing upright before
> the effects of any supernovae took hold. But he believes the violent
> explosions still played a role. “Bipedalism had already gotten started, but
> we think this may have given it a strong shot in the arm,” he said.
>
> “Lightning has long been thought to be the primary cause of fires before
> humans had a role, and with a lot of fires you get the destruction of a lot
> of habitat,” Melott said. “When the forests are replaced with grasslands,
> it then becomes an advantage to stand upright, so you can walk from tree to
> tree, and see over the tall grass for predators.”
>
> The cosmic rays from one star known to have exploded about 164 light years
> from Earth would have increased the ionisation of the atmosphere 50-fold,
> the scientists calculate. Cosmic rays ionise the atmosphere when they knock
> electrons out of the atoms and molecules they slam into in the air. Cosmic
> rays normally only ionise the upper reaches of the atmosphere, but powerful
> ones from nearby supernovae can penetrate the entire depth of the
> atmosphere, ionising it all the way to the ground. “We are sure this would
> have increased lightning strikes, but lightning initiation is not well
> understood, so we cannot put a number on it,” Melott said.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 23:12:18 +0000
> From: Kenneth Kinman <kinman at hotmail.com>
> To: taxacom <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>, John Grehan
>         <calabar.john at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Taxacom] More fairy tales from evolution
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CY4PR11MB148093AA2BF77687094D1144C11E0 at CY4PR11MB1480.namprd11.prod.outlook.com
> >
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
>
> Hi John,
>        Some press coverage seems to love the hypotheses of Dr. Melott and
> colleagues.  A couple of years ago it was about such bursts of cosmic
> radiation (muons in particular) causing an extinction of marine megafauna
> at the end of the Pliocene.  And another hypothesis that the increase in
> mutation rates caused disparities between molecular clocks and the fossil
> record.  Here are just three examples (in the first one he suggests "due to
> the importance of highly penetrating muon irradiation, the disparity should
> be magnified for megafauna"):
>
>      (1)  "A Possible Role for Stochastic Astrophysical Ionizing Radiation
> Events in the Systematic Disparity between Molecular and Fossil Dates."
>      https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/ast.2016.1527
>
>     (2)  "Muon Radiation Dose and Marine Megafaunal Extinction at the
> end-Pliocene Supernova":
> https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/240093v1.full
>
>     (3)  "Researchers consider whether supernovae killed off large ocean
> animals at dawn of Pleistocene":
> https://phys.org/news/2018-12-supernovae-large-ocean-animals-dawn.html
>
> ________________________________
> From: Taxacom <taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu> on behalf of John
> Grehan via Taxacom <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
> Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 1:52 PM
> To: taxacom
> Subject: [Taxacom] More fairy tales from evolution
>
> Evolution is definitely not a science. Its all about fairy tails (pun
> intended). Here's the latest. The sooner we get honest to good fairy tails
> (Creationism) in our schools the better. At least they are honest about
> miracles. Good grief.
>
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/exploding-stars-led-to-humans-walking-on-two-legs-radical-study-suggests/ar-AAC25BS?li=BBnbcA1
>
>
> According to the researchers, a series of stars in our corner of the Milky
> Way exploded in a cosmic riot that began about 7m years ago and continued
> for millions of years more. The supernovae blasted powerful cosmic rays in
> all directions. On Earth, the radiation arriving from the cataclysmic
> explosions peaked about 2.6m years ago.
>
> The surge of radiation triggered a chain of events, the scientists argue.
> As cosmic rays battered the planet, they ionised the atmosphere and made it
> more conductive. This could have ramped up the frequency of lightning
> strikes, sending wildfires raging through African forests, and making way
> for grasslands, they write in the Journal of Geology. With fewer trees at
> hand in the aftermath, our ancient ancestors adapted, and those who walked
> upright thrived.
>
> That, at least, is the thinking. In the history of human evolution, walking
> upright dates back at least 6m years to Sahelanthropus, an ancient species
> with both ape and human features discovered from fossil remains found in
> Chad. One prominent theory is that climate change transformed the
> landscape, leaving savannah where trees once stood.
>
> One of the study’s authors, Adrian Melott of the University of Kansas, said
> ancient human relatives were already dabbling with standing upright before
> the effects of any supernovae took hold. But he believes the violent
> explosions still played a role. “Bipedalism had already gotten started, but
> we think this may have given it a strong shot in the arm,” he said.
>
> “Lightning has long been thought to be the primary cause of fires before
> humans had a role, and with a lot of fires you get the destruction of a lot
> of habitat,” Melott said. “When the forests are replaced with grasslands,
> it then becomes an advantage to stand upright, so you can walk from tree to
> tree, and see over the tall grass for predators.”
>
> The cosmic rays from one star known to have exploded about 164 light years
> from Earth would have increased the ionisation of the atmosphere 50-fold,
> the scientists calculate. Cosmic rays ionise the atmosphere when they knock
> electrons out of the atoms and molecules they slam into in the air. Cosmic
> rays normally only ionise the upper reaches of the atmosphere, but powerful
> ones from nearby supernovae can penetrate the entire depth of the
> atmosphere, ionising it all the way to the ground. “We are sure this would
> have increased lightning strikes, but lightning initiation is not well
> understood, so we cannot put a number on it,” Melott said.
> _______________________________________________
> Taxacom Mailing List
>
> Send Taxacom mailing list submissions to: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> For list information; to subscribe or unsubscribe, visit:
> http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
> You can reach the person managing the list at:
> taxacom-owner at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> The Taxacom email archive back to 1992 can be searched at:
> http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Nurturing nuance while assaulting ambiguity for 32 some years, 1987-2019.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 06:24:12 -0400
> From: John Grehan <calabar.john at gmail.com>
> To: Kenneth Kinman <kinman at hotmail.com>
> Cc: taxacom <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Taxacom] More fairy tales from evolution
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CADN0ud2k7vF3gScDc84ZDZQ_OttK4iRxB_nYyWzEER5WPjrBkQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Not surprising that the press love such things. Quite dramatic to have the
> universe play a direct role in our evolution this way. Unlike the
> imagination involved in the bipedal hypothesis (this was the fairly tale
> part), extinctions are a matter of record. But one has to wonder sometimes
> about invoking astronomical events as they are going on all the time and
> one or other is going to coincide. Then one has to explain how the
> extinction was only selective.
>
> John Grehan
>
>
>
> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 7:12 PM Kenneth Kinman <kinman at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi John,
> >        Some press coverage seems to love the hypotheses of Dr. Melott and
> > colleagues.  A couple of years ago it was about such bursts of cosmic
> > radiation (muons in particular) causing an extinction of marine megafauna
> > at the end of the Pliocene.  And another hypothesis that the increase in
> > mutation rates caused disparities between molecular clocks and the fossil
> > record.  Here are just three examples (in the first one he suggests "due
> to
> > the importance of highly penetrating muon irradiation, the disparity
> should
> > be magnified for megafauna"):
> >
> >      (1)  "A Possible Role for Stochastic Astrophysical Ionizing
> Radiation
> > Events in the Systematic Disparity between Molecular and Fossil Dates."
> >      https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/ast.2016.1527
> >
> >     (2)  "Muon Radiation Dose and Marine Megafaunal Extinction at the
> > end-Pliocene Supernova":
> > https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/240093v1.full
> >
> >     (3)  "Researchers consider whether supernovae killed off large ocean
> > animals at dawn of Pleistocene":
> > https://phys.org/news/2018-12-supernovae-large-ocean-animals-dawn.html
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> > *From:* Taxacom <taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu> on behalf of John
> > Grehan via Taxacom <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
> > *Sent:* Tuesday, May 28, 2019 1:52 PM
> > *To:* taxacom
> > *Subject:* [Taxacom] More fairy tales from evolution
> >
> > Evolution is definitely not a science. Its all about fairy tails (pun
> > intended). Here's the latest. The sooner we get honest to good fairy
> tails
> > (Creationism) in our schools the better. At least they are honest about
> > miracles. Good grief.
> >
> >
> >
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/exploding-stars-led-to-humans-walking-on-two-legs-radical-study-suggests/ar-AAC25BS?li=BBnbcA1
> >
> >
> > According to the researchers, a series of stars in our corner of the
> Milky
> > Way exploded in a cosmic riot that began about 7m years ago and continued
> > for millions of years more. The supernovae blasted powerful cosmic rays
> in
> > all directions. On Earth, the radiation arriving from the cataclysmic
> > explosions peaked about 2.6m years ago.
> >
> > The surge of radiation triggered a chain of events, the scientists argue.
> > As cosmic rays battered the planet, they ionised the atmosphere and made
> it
> > more conductive. This could have ramped up the frequency of lightning
> > strikes, sending wildfires raging through African forests, and making way
> > for grasslands, they write in the Journal of Geology. With fewer trees at
> > hand in the aftermath, our ancient ancestors adapted, and those who
> walked
> > upright thrived.
> >
> > That, at least, is the thinking. In the history of human evolution,
> walking
> > upright dates back at least 6m years to Sahelanthropus, an ancient
> species
> > with both ape and human features discovered from fossil remains found in
> > Chad. One prominent theory is that climate change transformed the
> > landscape, leaving savannah where trees once stood.
> >
> > One of the study’s authors, Adrian Melott of the University of Kansas,
> said
> > ancient human relatives were already dabbling with standing upright
> before
> > the effects of any supernovae took hold. But he believes the violent
> > explosions still played a role. “Bipedalism had already gotten started,
> but
> > we think this may have given it a strong shot in the arm,” he said.
> >
> > “Lightning has long been thought to be the primary cause of fires before
> > humans had a role, and with a lot of fires you get the destruction of a
> lot
> > of habitat,” Melott said. “When the forests are replaced with grasslands,
> > it then becomes an advantage to stand upright, so you can walk from tree
> to
> > tree, and see over the tall grass for predators.”
> >
> > The cosmic rays from one star known to have exploded about 164 light
> years
> > from Earth would have increased the ionisation of the atmosphere 50-fold,
> > the scientists calculate. Cosmic rays ionise the atmosphere when they
> knock
> > electrons out of the atoms and molecules they slam into in the air.
> Cosmic
> > rays normally only ionise the upper reaches of the atmosphere, but
> powerful
> > ones from nearby supernovae can penetrate the entire depth of the
> > atmosphere, ionising it all the way to the ground. “We are sure this
> would
> > have increased lightning strikes, but lightning initiation is not well
> > understood, so we cannot put a number on it,” Melott said.
> > _______________________________________________
> > Taxacom Mailing List
> >
> > Send Taxacom mailing list submissions to: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> > For list information; to subscribe or unsubscribe, visit:
> > http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
> > You can reach the person managing the list at:
> > taxacom-owner at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> > The Taxacom email archive back to 1992 can be searched at:
> > http://taxacom.markmail.org
> >
> > Nurturing nuance while assaulting ambiguity for 32 some years, 1987-2019.
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 12:31:09 -0400
> From: Jyotsna Pandey <jpandey at aibs.org>
> To: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> Subject: [Taxacom] Writing for Impact and Influence: An AIBS
>         Professional    Development Program
> Message-ID:
>         <CAOuC=
> 0GsJP7wVF_WQZKVhstcfnsobVwdN3xxpE-LeL+4cqvmQw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Dear Colleague,
>
> There is a growing recognition of the importance of providing graduate
> students and postdoctoral fellows with professional development training
> that will expand their career opportunities and potential for professional
> success.  The American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) is pleased
> to announce a professional development program that we have developed to
> help scientists strengthen their written communication skills.
>
> This is an important professional development training opportunity.  I hope
> you will consider sharing this opportunity with your students, staff, and
> colleagues.
>
> Below are more specific details about this online course, including
> registration information.
>
> *Writing for Impact and Influence: An AIBS Professional Development
> Program*
>
> *It is perfectly okay to write garbage—as long as you edit brilliantly. *
> -C. J. Cherryh
>
> The American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) has heard a common
> refrain from faculty, scientists, government and private sector executives,
> and everyone in between: Scientists are losing the ability to communicate
> effectively in writing. The concern is not just about how well a scientific
> manuscript is drafted, but also about how routine business and public
> engagement information are communicated.
>
> AIBS is responding by re-offering our professional development program
> designed to help scientists, including graduate students, hone their
> written communication skills to increase the impact and influence of their
> message. This course complements AIBS's highly successful Communications
> Boot Camp for Scientists, which focuses on oral communication.
>
> Writing for Impact and Influence provides practical instruction and
> hands-on exercises that will improve the participant's general writing
> proficiency. The program will provide participants with the skills and
> tools needed to compose scientific press releases, blog posts, emails, and
> memoranda, with a focus on the reader experience. Each product-oriented
> session will have an assignment to be completed independently, with
> feedback from the instructor. The course is interactive, and participants
> are encouraged to ask questions and exchange ideas with the instructor and
> other participants.
>
> *Who Should Take the Course?*
>
>    - Individuals interested in furthering their professional development by
>    augmenting their writing skills.
>    - Graduate students and early-career professionals interested in
>    increasing their marketability to employers.
>    - Individuals interested in more effectively informing and influencing
>    segments of the public, supervisors, policymakers, reporters,
>    organizational leaders, and others.
>
> *Topics*
>
>    - Press releases and writing for the media
>    - Blogging and social media campaigns
>    - E-Correspondence and writing for professional audiences
>    - One-pagers and writing for stakeholders
>    - Action/decision memoranda and writing for diverse professional
>    audiences
>    - Synthesis
>    - Participant Requirements
>    - Internet access, email account, and computer audio and video
>    capabilities.
>
> *Course Structure*
> The course consists of six 90-minute online modules conducted live and
> subsequently archived online for participant review. Modules are spaced at
> weekly intervals to allow time for assignment completion. Live attendance
> is recommended but not required, and the instructor can be contacted by
> email at any time during the course.
>
> *Assignments*
> A writing assignment will be given in each of the first five courses.
> Students will receive timely feedback on their assignments.
>
> *Certificate of Completion*
> Individuals who actively participate in and complete the full course will
> receive a certificate recognizing that they have completed a nine-hour
> professional development course on business writing for scientists.
>
> *Schedule*
> The course will begin on Thursday, 11 July 2019. The subsequent course
> sessions will be held weekly on Thursdays, through 15 August. All live
> courses will begin at 2:00 p.m. Eastern time. Recorded programs will be
> available to participants after the live session.
>
> *Registration*
> Space is limited and the course will be filled on a first-come,
> first-served basis. Registration is required.
>
> To register for the course, go to http://io.aibs.org/writing
>
> For questions regarding the course please contact James Verdier at
> jverdier at aibs.org.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jyotsna Pandey, Ph.D.
> Public Policy Manager
> American Institute of Biological Sciences
> 1201 New York Avenue, NW, Suite 420
> Washington, DC 20005
> Phone: 202-628-1500 x 225
> Email: jpandey at aibs.org
> www.aibs.org
> Follow us on Twitter! @AIBS_Policy
>
> --
> This message is confidential and should only be read by its intended
> recipients.
> If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and
> delete all copies.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> Taxacom Mailing List
>
> Send Taxacom mailing list submissions to taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> For list information; to subscribe or unsubscribe, visit:
> http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/taxacom
> You can reach the person managing the list at:
> taxacom-owner at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
> The Taxacom email archive back to 1992 can be searched at:
> http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Nurturing nuance while assaulting ambiguity for 32 some years, 1987-2019.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of Taxacom Digest, Vol 157, Issue 11
> ****************************************
>


More information about the Taxacom mailing list