[Taxacom] OMG! DNA only descriptions! - Round Three

Adolf Ceska aceska at telus.net
Tue Aug 4 13:30:29 CDT 2020

Rhizopogon kretzerae was described only from the DNA obtained from mycorrhizal roots of Pterospora andromedea and Pinus strobus - see
https://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/ben/ben516.html#3 (BEN plates do no work in the COVID-19 quarantine).
Index Fungorum does not see any problems with this:
http://www.speciesfungorum.org/Names/SynSpecies.asp?RecordID=550254
What if Rhizopogon kretzerae does never produce fruiting bodies as the authors postulated?

Adolf Ceska, Victoria, BC, Canada