[Taxacom] Forcing ORCID on researchers

Carlos Alberto Martínez Muñoz biotemail at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 05:36:14 CST 2020

Dear Taxacomers,
I have been informed today by a co-author that Zootaxa has decided to be
strict and to enforce ORCID for all authors.
For all you journal editors and owners in this list: You are not welcome to
force an identifier on researchers, and even less to force ONE identifier
above all others, without alternatives. Also, it is useless. You might
force researchers to have an ID at the time of publication, but you cannot
force researchers to keep it. I will make sure that my ORCID gets wiped off
after publication. And every time you force me to get one, the same will
happen again. As the platform says, getting an ORCID just takes a minute.
Anthony Gill previously wrote: "My take is ORCID can take a flying jump at
itself." Couldn't agree more.
Cheers,

Carlos A. Martínez Muñoz
Zoological Museum, Biodiversity Unit