[Taxacom] Forcing ORCID on researchers

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 15:31:41 CST 2020

John Grehan wrote:

" I live with it, but don't like it."

I live with it too, but quite like it, as it provides (one) route to link
together my various scientific contributions, in a manner that others can
find, both now, and also in the future, when eventually I will no longer be
around (on the vague hope that some of my work may have a value to others
down the track). As stated earlier (though the links seem to have got
mangled by the copy/paste process I used from iPhylo), for this purpose I
presently utilise the services of (all of) Google Scholar, ResearcherID,
ORCID, Researchgate and academia.edu, on the basis that this increases the
chance that my work might be found (or stumbled upon) by someone using any
one of these routes. I do not see any one of these as more of an intrusion
of my privacy than any other; also if one or more is embedded in someone
else's commercial enterprise, I really do not object. Also in 50 (or 100)
years time, would anyone like to make a punt as to which will still be
around? My money is for the identifier issued, and maintained, by someone
whose business model depends on it... (probably applies to headstones in
graveyards as well).

Best - Tony

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees