[Taxacom] Forcing ORCID on researchers

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 16:36:22 CST 2020

As a follow up to the above, not too long ago I was interested in trying to
discover academic papers authored by my late father (d. 2006), who was a
geographer. He wrote books - thus has a VIAF ID, issued externally by a
consortium of libraries in which his books reside, but I did not find a
single easy way to discover/aggregate/publish a listing of his articles.
Since he is deceased, many systems e.g. ORCID are not interested in issuing
a relevant identifier, which seems a lost opportunity (same for the
multitude of deceased authors in taxonomy).

For what it's worth, there is a different Tony Rees to myself who writes
books, has a VIAF ID (I do not - not being a book author, and cannot get
one), and to whom some of my journal articles have been attributed in error
(even though they are not books) in VIAF. I tried to get this undone, but
did not get very far. Better data cleaning methods / user control obviously
needed!

Regards - Tony