[Taxacom] Forcing ORCID on researchers

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 21:07:23 CST 2020

Hi Rod,

A problem I see with Wikidata is scale... ORCID already has 9+million IDs
issued, not to mention all the other workers (current and past) who do not
have these - all will require an entry in Wikidata. Then there is the size
of the scientific literature - presuming that every article and book would
again get a Wikidata ID - I recall values in excess of 150m for the
scholarly literature - again would need to be fairly comprehensively
captured in order that an "open" system of researcher IDs <> publication
IDs would be useful (or better than what is already available e.g. via
Google scholar). So who does the work, what is the cost <> benefit ratio,
who keeps it updated, who does quality control, duplicate detection and
resolution, etc... I believe that PubMed alone adds 1m articles a year to
its database.

By contrast, ORCID has a board (16 members) and a staff of 36 just to
implement their mission alone (unique IDs for researchers): see
https://orcid.org/node/9 . So expecting the same to emerge "organically"
from the wikidata user community seems a big ask, to me.

- Tony