[Taxacom] Forcing ORCID on researchers

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 13:24:01 CST 2020

Perhaps I can put what I mean another way. ORCID and Google Scholar (two
current exemplars in the "IDs for researchers" and "IDs for articles"
space, but by no means the only ones) currently work because "someone" is
throwing the required substantial amounts of funding around to support the
dozens of full time staff (in each case) required to support these tasks,
or at least make a reasonable dent on them (the dreaded commercial model as
described/disparaged above, even though at least ORCID is a
not-for-profit). However I do not see equivalent funders / full time
positions to repeat the same exercise(s) for a community-owned project such
as Wikidata...

Just my 2 cents worth of course,

Regards - Tony