[Taxacom] Forcing ORCID on researchers

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Dec 12 08:08:29 CST 2020

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 06:29, Michael Heads via Taxacom
<taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu> wrote:

> Spending millions of dollars a year on something that wasn't actually a
> problem for researchers, only for managers trying to track down the h-index
> for all the thousands of job applicants....

Author-identity disambiguation may not be an issue for you; but it is
a problem for many authors, an ORCID goes a long way to remediating
that, for them.

>Meanwhile, botanical collecting has basically stopped in New Zealand. . .

This has what to do with ORCID?

> Why do they have to have their logo, *in colour,* right next to your name
> on the title page?

They don't. Such a decision is made by the publisher, not ORCID.

> soon you'll have to pay an annual fee for the wretched thing.

This will never happen.

[Disclosure: I act pro bono as Wikimedian in Residence at ORCID: I do
not speak for them]

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing