[Taxacom] Forcing ORCID on researchers

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Dec 12 09:26:28 CST 2020

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 at 15:03, John Grehan <calabar.john at gmail.com> wrote:

> the implication I also saw was how money was available for this bureaucratic
> exercise while finding continues to dry up for basic taxonomic work, including
> collecting.

The question was "This has what to do with ORCID?" - in other words,
where is the evidence that if money had not been spent on setting up
and running ORCID, it would instead have been spent on botanical
collecting in New Zealand? If there is no such evidence, then the
original comment is a non sequitur.

> And what is 'free' today can become charged tomorrow

Not in this case. It would be destructive to ORCID, and contrary to
their  mission, to raise such a barrier to entry.

> I have seen cases of free items being converted this way

It's a cliche, but true: anecdotes are not evidence. You have not seen
this happen with ORCID.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing