[Taxacom] Forcing ORCID on researchers

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Dec 12 18:01:43 CST 2020

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 at 22:14, Carlos Alberto Martínez Muñoz via
Taxacom <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu> wrote:

> John Grehan wrote: “And what is 'free' today can become charged tomorrow”
> Andy Mabbett replied: “Not in this case. It would be destructive to ORCID,
> and contrary to their mission, to raise such a barrier to entry.”
>
> Reality matches John's concern because:
> 1) ORCID is becoming an standard. Once it’s widely adopted (we are so
> close) you can cash out the whole thing and the new owner can paywall it in
> one or several ways.

> 2) “Corporate Reorganization: If ORCID is involved in a merger,
> acquisition, joint venture, dissolution merger or other corporate
> restructuring...”

Poppycock. Your comment is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of
how ORCID is constituted. It's FUD.

Furthermore, the data - and especially the identifiers - are
open-data, so if someone did try that, anyone could fork a free
alternative.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing