[Taxacom] (no subject)

Douglas Yanega dyanega at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 11:57:28 CST 2020

On 12/18/20 9:25 AM, John Grehan via Taxacom wrote:
> I do wonder about that assertion of taxa not being natural phenomena.

At the risk of dragging this out, allow me to very briefly draw an
analogy which might be helpful:

Photons are a "taxon" of elementary particle, yet despite being asserted
to be particles, a photon can act either as a particle or as a wave. All
that means is that our ability to categorize is artificial, and
artificially constrained. A "natural" classification/description for
elementary particles eludes us, as does a "natural" description of
species. The definitions have fuzziness to them. That doesn't mean that
our classifications and descriptions have NO heuristic value; we just
need to acknowledge their limitations - e.g., Rich's "scare quotes".   ;-)

Peace,

              https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html