[Taxacom] Founder effect in Covid-19 evolution (and infectivity)

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 20 13:31:12 CST 2020

Hi All,
        With the new genetic variant of coronavirus rapidly spreading in England, I am wondering if the founder effect is a factor.  If such a new genetic variant is more contagious (as this is one said to be), would it be expected to rapidly replace the original strain in England and thus accelerate the spread?
       I can't help but wonder if such variants are part of the reason that Europe and the United States have had a lot more trouble with covid-19 than China and other East Asian countries.  Question:  Does the original (less contagious) version of this coronavirus still predominate in eastern Asia?