[Taxacom] Primate {twadle?}

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 20 21:05:21 CST 2020

Hi John,
        I guess you must be viewing this as "fake news", but what you call "twaddle" is based on serious research findings on a number of different vertebrate taxa.  For instance, based on new primate fossil evidence, Bond et al., 2015 said:
"South America and Africa have been separated since the early Late Cretaceous, so vicariance of primates does not appear reasonable as an explanation for their appearance in the Eocene on two continents separated by the Atlantic.  Numerous studies have focused on the possibility of primates crossing the Atlantic to reach South America from Africa (for example, refs 20, 21), with rafting across the Atlantic usually considered a feasible way for how primates arrived in South America, presuming they originated in Africa....  A similar means of arrival in South America has often been proposed for the hystricognath rodents, the dispersal of amphisbaenian and gekkotan lizards, and the Opisthocomiformes, a Neotropical group of birds (hoatzins) with weak flight capabilities and alleged African origin.  And, with the discovery of the Santa Rosa primates, the re-established, relatively contemporaneous first appearance datum of primates and rodents in South America leads to consideration of possible similarities of intercontinental dispersal mechanisms for the two mammalian groups."
Source:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature14120.epdf?referrer_access_token=Aq3mCS_U83h_wRkC7RGhw9RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0OeRw-3QoIkb2K-RTBu-WlQVpxymwHRfnmhxWlRfp03p3toa22UdqDv45qaqqTQI56ppLk8Rif3uZBwNOtM87pB7tWQHTiPkH8Kqp7bQU_9txkTQeX8ZJsCEYjoymmn_jm4TsHsvXbuWtG92hWtkygbamnr1YG9cXipd6wE5cJZvHLjAzpoJ3FvB385JmwnskCZs6fZZ97GVWucjy98kE1wY54QXNy1YDdxuSd7KJu39g%3D%3D&tracking_referrer=phenomena.nationalgeographic.com