[Taxacom] Another transatlantic rafting primate named this year

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Mon Dec 21 13:16:24 CST 2020

On 21-Dec.-20 10:58 a.m., John Grehan wrote:

> *"regardless of the nesting of the phylogenies, isn't the greater
> number of instances of inferred 'rafting' from Africa to South America
> vs the other direction evidence that dispersal did occur,"
>
> Really Fred - this is bizarre - or at least it seems to me it is, You are saying that something is evidence if enough people say it is so.

* I can't see where I invoked "something is evidence if enough people
say it is so," I was just suggesting that rafting depends on winds and
currents, and that if (just basing this in the instances brought up in
this thread) the rafting hypothesis was spurious, there'd be as many
eastbound as westbound events.

The vicariance idea that adjacent biotas don't tend to mingle is a
useful null hypothesis, but null hypotheses are sometimes falsified.

And there is the expression "What about Canada, eh?" - our biota is all
postglacial dispersants, and while there are instructive differences
between the character of the biotas on deglaciated and unglaciated
territory, we do have quite a few species.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://www.facebook.com/MudpuppyNight/
NatureMatch concentration game - https://naturematch.ca/
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4&6 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W