[Taxacom] website options

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Mar 25 13:50:47 CDT 2020

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 15:37, John Grehan via Taxacom
<taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu> wrote:

> For a good number of years I maintained a website on ghost moths
> (Hepialidae - http://johngrehan.net/index.php/hepialidae/ but I can no
> longer sustain the cost

> I will likely have to discontinue the site

> I need a site that can provide a front page listing genera, and then
> links to individual pages with species and images. Any suggestions most welcome.

Have you considered contributing instead to the Wikimedia sites:

* Wikipedia

* Wikidata

* Wikispecies (start at https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hepialidae )

* Wikimedia Commons (start at
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Hepialidae )

They only accept openly-licensed content, so you can't (for the main
part) upload other people's images,  but a lot of the groundwork is
done, there is no cost, you would be working collaboratively (and thus
receive a lot of support), and your work will live on there
indefinitely.

I'm happy to talk you through getting started, if that's of interest.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing