[Taxacom] COVID-19 disease (and "deadliest genera")

Erikjan Rijkers er at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 25 14:35:03 CDT 2020

On 2020-03-25 19:05, Kenneth Kinman via Taxacom wrote:
> Hi All,
>       I clearly underestimated the numbers of deaths that the world
> would probably suffer from COVID-19 disease, especially in Spain and
> Italy.  The U.S. will hopefully fare better (than southern Europe)
> with a lower rate of multi-generational households and lower rates of
> smoking.

But alas, the U.S. has a serious and chronic (multiyear) bad-governance
crisis that undoubtedly more than offsets all that.

> Betacoronavirus, causing COVID-19 disease (probably at least 50,000
> deaths in 2020)

Optimism is good. But I wouldn't be surprised to see > 1,000,000 deaths
in the USA under the current mismanagement.

I have no pleasure in saying all this.  It's been unsettling to see you
in the U.S. having the same slow reaction that we in Western Europe had
only 23 weeks ago.