[Taxacom] Comments on Scratchpads

Carlos Alberto Martínez Muñoz biotemail at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 17:39:57 CDT 2020

Hi John,
Out of curiosity, what is the source for "sustained existence of this
resources (Scratchpads) is uncertain due to funding issues". This is the
second time that an email with a similar opinion reaches me. I wonder if
this has something to do with Coleman & Radulovici (2020) (
https://doi.org/10.11646/megataxa.1.1.5)? The opinion on the sustainability
of SP given in that paper is outdated. Considering what has been happening
with SP since 2018, that opinion was formed back in 2017 or earlier.
“Also, the future of projects made with “Scratchpads” (http://scratchpads.eu),
a content management system primarily designed for taxonomic contents,
remains unclear when developed by a single person. It may stop being
updated when the author retires or switches jobs.”
The authors didn't check that indeed the original software developer left,
that the platform stop being maintained and that since 2018 to present
functionality has been recovered. Progress can be followed on GitHub. A
current snapshot:
https://github.com/NaturalHistoryMuseum/scratchpads2/pulse/monthly
The platform has even improved, see the update to the Ecological
Interactions module (https://doi.org/10.3897/BDJ.7.e47043).
SP is no longer sustained by one developer but by the Informatics Group at
the Natural History Museum, London. If there is a funding problem
threatening the existence of the entire group and the effort they devote to
SP, I would very much like to know about it.
Regards,
Carlos

Carlos A. Martínez Muñoz
Zoological Museum, Biodiversity Unit