[Taxacom] Likelihoodism versus probabilism; is it so simple?

Tim Dickinson tim.dickinson at utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 9 14:48:04 CDT 2020

Is it possible that this thread represents a kind of straw man take on
molecular phylogenetics? My very limited experience in this area
suggests that people who care about using molecular data to derive trees
that will contribute to the edifice of classifying organisms alive today
and making inferences about their ancestry are using more than just a
single source of data, and more than a single method for analyzing those
data. Also, they are developing methods with which to interrogate those
data more closely, and are trying to distinguish between results
stemming from methodological choices and those reflecting more closely
some aspect of biological and historical reality. These methods are
increasingly important as new sequencing methods are generating larger
and larger volumes of sequence data, not only from low copy number
nuclear genes, but also from organellar genomes.

For example, Rob Lanfear (ANU) has a blog post
(http://www.robertlanfear.com/blog/files/concordance_factors.html) in
which he describes how the IQ-TREE software calculates the extent to
which individual sites on a DNA sequence, and individual loci in a
multilocus alignment, are concordant (and discordant) with a given node
on the ML tree calculated from the multilocus alignment. After showing
how high bootstrap values may be associated with low concordance values,
he writes, "A sensible biological interpretation here would be that this
resolution of the [multilocus] tree is a good best guess for the species
tree, but that there is plenty of conflicting signal meaning that: (i) I
wouldn’t bet my house on this resolution of the species tree; (ii) even
if this is the correct resolution, there’s probably a lot of conflicting
signal in the gene trees from processes like incomplete lineage
sorting." The example data used in this blog post come from this paper:
https://doi.org/10.1093/sysbio/syx041
<https://doi.org/10.1093/sysbio/syx041>(which itself is an example of
querying data in order to understand why results may vary in relation to
methodological choices).

I note that the conflict between gene trees can also emerge from purely
phenetic methods of comparing tree toplogies. It appears that these
methods as well are being employed in order to better understand the
signal (-s) present in comparative sequence data.

The Systematic Biology paper referenced above may have been chosen by
Lanfear because of the way in which the authors discount the possible
role of conflict between individual gene trees, writing that "analyses
of concatenated data are still expected to converge on the same estimate
of phylogeny as data are increased," and explicitly rejecting the need
to consider coalescence models (so, yet another approach). My point is
that molecular phylogenetics in the era of next generation sequencing
seems increasingly to be reflecting on why data and methods give the
results they do, and how far those results can be trusted. I'm skeptical
that the simplistic contrast suggested by others captures all that's
going on in the field.

---tad.

<++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<Tim Dickinson
<Senior Curator Emeritus
<ROM Green Plant Herbarium (TRT)
<
<Department of Natural History
<Royal Ontario Museum
<100 Queen's Park
<Toronto  ON
<CANADA  M5S 2C6
<
<Phone:  (416) 782 1607     FAX:  (416) 586 7921
<E-mail:  tim.dickinson at utoronto.ca  -  ORCID ID http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1366-145X