[Taxacom] the family Tortricidae or just Tortricidae

Soowon Cho chosoowon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 20:47:27 CDT 2020

Dear members,

As a non-native English speaker, I have two questions and really hope you
could help me.
1. I feel curious about why people add "the family", "the subfamily", "the
genus", etc. in front of the scientific name in writing: for example, "the
family Tortricidae" instead of just "Tortricidae". Is there a pattern or
rule in English? I thought it is redundant when we know Tortricidae with
idae-ending means it is a family name.
2. Sometimes I see Tortricidae, Tortricinae, or genus name Tortrix is
treated as a singular, but sometimes as a plural noun. I thought, based on
the ICZN, they are basically plural, but, in many cases, they are
considered as a singular noun. Spell checker also treats them as a singular
form. This may or may not be an English question, but I hope someone please
let me know how to distinguish between the two.

Sincerely,

--
Soowon Cho
chosoowon at gmail.com