[Taxacom] the family Tortricidae or just Tortricidae

Douglas Yanega dyanega at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 13:11:06 CDT 2020

On 10/14/20 10:26 AM, Richard Jensen via Taxacom wrote:
> By my reckoning, the two statements below
>
>      1. The family Tortricidae
>      2. The Tortricidae
>
> are grammatically equivalent and I would recommend "is" for both.  Family
> is implicit in the second statement because that's what Tortricidae is; the
> word "family" is redundant. In fact, "The" in both statements is also
> unnecessary.

Depends on context, not the prefix. Consider "The New York Jets":

I can say "The New York Jets is an NFL football franchise" and I can say
"The New York Jets are losers". Both are acceptable. You might get away
with "are" in the first case, but you could NEVER use "is" in the second
case.

;-)

Peace,

              https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html