[Taxacom] Small mystery - the name Byrrhininus Pic

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 15:05:36 CDT 2020

Dear all,

I am wondering if anyone is interested in solving a small mystery for me.
The beetle genus-group name Byrrhininus Pic, 1922, is presently listed
twice in my IRMNG compilation, based on records from Joel Hallan's Biology
Catalog (the latter no longer online unfortunately): once as a subgenus of
Byrrhus Linnaeus, 1767 [Family: Byrrhidae] (and treated in IRMNG as a
synonym of that name at generic level), and once a synonym of Byrrhinus
Motschoulsky, 1858 [Family: Limnichidae].

The uBio (online) copy of Neave (Nomenclator Zoologicus) has no entry for
"Byrrhininus" so that is not helpful in tracing the original publication[s]
of this name. BHL has one article by Pic from 1922 (
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/36371588 plus following page) in
which he erects one new species of  Byrrhininus, refers to several others
apparently previously erected, and on the following page talks about "this
last species ... could perhaps be placed in a new subgenus which I name
Byrrhininus" [my rough understanding from the French original).

So, it looks like Pic may indeed have used the name twice, once as a genus,
once as a new subgenus (of what??), but apart from that the trail is a bit
clouded.  Spangler et al., 2001, in "A checklist of the Limnichidae and the
Lutrochidae (Coleoptera) of the world", list  Byrrhininus Pic, 1922 in the
synonymy of  Byrrhinus Motschulsky, 1858 (which corresponds to the second
of Hallan's records as noted above) but the first one / putative subgenus
of Byrrhus may be different - or may be a duplicate to be deleted, I am not
sure, although Pic's statement in the BHL record I have found is
intriguing...

If anyone can shed further light on this, I would appreciate it -
ultimately desiring to know whether to maintain one or two entries for the
same "name, authority" combination in IRMNG, corresponding to one or two
different initially erected taxa (possibly in different families as well...)

Regards - Tony
Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
www.irmng.org