[Taxacom] Small mystery - the name Byrrhininus Pic

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 16:46:11 CDT 2020

Actually, there is an error in my original message. Pic's initial
discussion (and single new species) are of the genus Byrrhinus, not
Byrrhininus,
 which is not mentioned until the following page (p.6) as a potential new
subgenus, thus of  Byrrhinus (hence the synonymy as stated by later
authors). Which leaves the question of the second instance in Hallan's
Catalog, namely  Byrrhus ( Byrrhininus) Pic, 1920 [Family: Byrrhidae] -
whether this exists as a separate entity, or is simply the same name as the
first, presented in a different taxonomic position. Having now seen that
the first was indeed established as a subgenus, I am inclined to think that
the second entry may be just a duplicate in a different taxonomic position,
but would be pleased to receive any further thoughts...

Regards - Tony