[Taxacom] A nomen nudum in Bombus

Douglas Yanega dyanega at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 18:48:25 CDT 2021

On 6/1/21 2:56 PM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> For unavailable names like Bombus incognitus, for example, I recommend
> the following:
> Assuming that they refer to a good species without any other name
> available, use the unavailable name as if it were the valid name for
> the taxon, until such time as someone validates the name
> nomenclaturally. Any such validation should use the original name,
> i.e. Bombus incognitus, rather than disruptively coin a different
> name. Of course, if the species is inadvertently named again as new,
> witha different name, then Bombus incognitus will be superseded by the
> new name, except if the name Bombus incognitus has already gained wide
> usage, in which case an application for conservation of the name would
> be appropriate. It must be remembered that many names in current usage
> are unavailable for somewhat less obvious reasons than Bombus
> incognitus, e.g. lack of specified type depository, etc. It is far
> more sensible just to continue using them as if they were valid, until
> such time as any nomenclatural problems can be resolved (and there is
> really no hurry or necessity)

I disagree with essentially everything you have suggested above, and
strongly suggest that others here learn from you exactly what NOT to do.
It's like you are actively seeking to undermine the principles of the
ICZN, by making proposals that go directly against what the Code
specifically tells people they should do.

Give it a rest, please,

              https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html