[Taxacom] Correct authorship for the genus Aotus (Mammalia)?

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 22:59:00 CDT 2021

Dear Taxacomers,

I am interested in obtaining the correct authorship for the genus Aotus
(Mammalia), known as night monkeys.

McKenna & Bell, 1997, gives the authorship as "Humboldt, 1811, p. 358"

Nomenclator Zoologicus has "Aotes Humboldt 1811 Rec. Obs. Zool., 1, 306 (as
Aotus p. 358)."

MSW3 (Wilson & Reeder) has:
Aotus   Author: Illiger, 1811. Citation: Prodr. Syst. Mamm. Avium.: 71.

(most other sources also say Illiger, 1811, including e.g. ITIS, which
follows MSW3 in the main I believe)

The Illiger source is online at BHL here:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/29301041

where it says: "Genus 11. AOTUS Humboldt."

AnimalBase ( a good source for early zoological literature) does not seem
to have an entry for either Aotus or Aotes.

So who is the author for this genus, and should the Illiger ascription be
considered a later usage? (I have not located the Humboldt original, but it
is probably on line somewhere).

All advice appreciated - or pointer to where this may have already been
discussed elsewhere.

Regards - Tony
Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees