[Taxacom] Strange Melolontha

Stanley A. Schultz tarantzilla at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 16:56:15 CDT 2021

One and All -

On 2021-06-03 06:22, Nicolas Bekkouche via Taxacom wrote:
> [â–³EXTERNAL]
>

> It has been documented (and "buzzed"" on internet already,
>
> One can find some videos etc. that sound like people think it is
> birds indeed :)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhQTt_gFAE
>
> Regards,
>
> Nicolas Bekkouche

The sounds in the background are obviously those made by automobile
traffic, and the substrate on which the beetle crawls is apparently
pavement of some sort. And, a beetle in that condition would not last
very long, exposed to the direct rays of the sun, much less to predators
like birds. But it seems to be moving quite handily in spite of it's
shortcomings. At least for now.

These all strongly suggest that it suffered a collision with a passing
vehicle not too much before you arrived with your camera.

Cheers,

Stan Schultz
Calgary, Alberta, CANADA
Phone: (403) 708-6436 - April through October
Phone: (517) 575-8685 - October through April.
If I don't answer one phone, try the other.
If I answer neither, call back later.
Sorry: *No texting, please.*
Web: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/