[Taxacom] "All genera of the world": initial papers now published

Tony Rees tonyrees49 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 01:02:59 CDT 2021

Last year (Jan 2020), Prof. Zhi-Qiang Zhang (New Zealand) signalled his
intention to initiate a new series of papers under the banner of "All
genera of the world", in the journal Megataxa, to which I and my colleagues
at the VLIZ Data Centre contributed an overview/scoping paper (Rees, T.,
Vandepitte, L., Vanhoorne, B. & Decock, W. (2020) All genera of the world:
an overview and estimates based on the March 2020 release of the Interim
Register of Marine and Nonmarine Genera (IRMNG). Megataxa, 1 (2), 123–142.
https://doi.org/10.11646/megataxa.1.2.3). Taxacom readers will I am sure be
familiar with Prof. Zhang's previous editorship of similar contributions in
the area of animal diversity down to family, " Animal biodiversity: an
outline of higher-level classification and survey of taxonomic richness",
published in "Zootaxa" in 2011 and 2011.

This is just a note to say that the first 2 papers in the  "All genera of
the world" series are now published, on  the insect order Thysanoptera,
with 1,270 available genus-group names, including 850 valid generic names,
65 of these fossils (Mound & Hastenpflug-Vesmanis 2021); the other a
related fossil order Lophioneurida with 22 generic names, including 18
valid generic names (Ulitzka 2021); for details see
https://www.mapress.com/j/mt/article/view/megataxa.6.1.1/44224. Prof. Zhang
reckons that to complete a surevey of presently known biodiversity to genus
level, for both extant and fossil taxa, will "only" take some 28,500
journal pages. Some down, just a few more to go!

It remains to be seen how this series of printed papers will mesh with work
presently residing in expert data systems (as well as published summaries
elsewhere), but we shall no doubt discover over time. One point is that the
authors of the Thysanoptera contribution were able to draw either
extensively or entirely on information previously assembled in ThripsWiki
(2021 version), so some pointers to possible workflows would be obvious
from this.

Regards to all - Tony

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia
https://about.me/TonyRees