[Taxacom] Is this science?

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Jun 17 02:12:31 CDT 2021

Dear Taxacomers,A few years ago, I posted regarding a project being run as an MSc, by a major university around here, in the name of climate change. The project seemed to me to be garbage designed to suck external funding and load it with expenses (travel and accommodation between the two ends of the country, including helicopter rides to the study site). My attempts to bring my concerns about the project to light resulted in my expulsion as a research associate from the university. I have just now seen the publication resulting from the 4 year project: (PDF) Determining species diversity and functional traits of beetles for monitoring the effects of environmental change in the New Zealand alpine zoneMy opinion on the publication is that it is a deliberate attempt at obfuscation to try to make something of nothing. I would be very interested in any comments. Is this valid science? I have my opinion, but I could be wrong.Cheers,Stephen