[Taxacom] Is this science?

Peter A Rauch peterar at berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 17 15:35:52 CDT 2021

Stephen,
You stated, "... [the research project / publication] is a deliberate
attempt at obfuscation to try to make something of nothing ...."

John begged for some more details about what specifically concerned you.

I found the "obfuscation" too obfuscated to find it in the report, so can
you elaborate on this point, please.

I also couldn't locate "nothing" in the report, so I was unable to assess
whether "something" was written about "nothing". Something I did find in
the report was a lot of information on what was done, why it was done, how
it was done, and what was concluded from all of that effort.  Was all of
that sufficient to call it "valid science", or alternatively, sufficient
information to label it "invalid science"? Perhaps you can suggest what
about the report invalidates the work as not-science (surely it wasn't the
helicopter rides, nor the source(s) of funding, per se).

Reviewing a research report is a lot of work, esp. when asked to do so on a
vague suggestion that it smells like "garbage". Please contribute more
substance if you're going to ask folks to invest their own dear time to
assess your (detailed) concerns.

Peter R