[Taxacom] Tasmanian devils on a small island

Kenneth Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 22:22:07 CDT 2021

Hi All,
      Having been a professional mammalogist myself (coauthor of Mammal Species of the World, First Edition), I guess I should root for the endangered tasmanian devil.   However, introducing tasmanian devils onto Maria Island has become a nightmare for other species on the island and for those who thought introducing them there was a good idea back in 2012.
        It doesn't seem much like wolves being reintroduced into Yellowstone National Park which has helped reestablish natural controls on exploding populations of certain prey species (creating a more balanced ecosystem).  Instead, a small introduced population of tasmanian devils has made a mess of things on Maria Island and doesn't really seem to be a good thing for those trying to save the tasmanian devil from extinction.  Now the added expense of trying to remove them from that island.  Probably a good lesson learned about introducing a predator onto a small island.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jun/21/tasmanian-devils-wipe-out-thousands-of-penguins-maria-island-australia