[Taxacom] Just checking - effective publication in botany - "early view" example...

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue May 11 14:05:27 CDT 2021

All:

I was very sloppy in the last sentence of my previous post to this list, and several people have commented to me about it off list. To set the record straight, when I wrote:

"But is also important to sort out (and, in my view, harmonize phycological/mycological/botanical approaches with zoological approaches)."

I did **NOT** mean to imply that the botanical Code should be changed to match the zoological Code!  I think the problem was the word "with", which should have been "and", and also that the two Codes could have appeared in either sequence (e.g., "in my view, harmonize zoological approaches and phycological/mycological/botanical approaches").

In fact, my actual thinking is that, as we draft the next edition of the ICZN Code, I would like to see the draft incorporate elements of the Botanical code in cases where some of the problems we've discussed have been adequately solved in that Code, and less so in the zoological Code.  In other cases, where there are problems shared by both Codes, I would like to see communication that facilitates harmonization *between* the two codes in solving the same problem in the same way.

I'm very sorry for the confusion, but I wanted to make it absolutely clear that I did not intend to suggest that the botanical Code needed to be changed to be more like the zoological Code!

(except, of course, when the zoological Code solves certain things more effectively! :-)  )

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Senior Curator of Ichthyology | Director of XCoRE
Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice Street, Honolulu, HI 96817-2704
Office: (808) 848-4115;  Fax: (808) 847-8252
eMail: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
BishopMuseum.org