[Taxacom] Job Posting: Curator and Director of Herbarium, Missouri Botanical Garden
Jim.Solomon at mobot.org
Fri May 14 16:18:20 CDT 2021
The Missouri Botanical Garden is seeking applicants for the position of Curator and Director of Herbarium. The essential duties and responsibilities are given below.
The full listing can be viewed at: https://us59.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/MBG/Posting/View/540
or through Job Opportunities: https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/about/additional-information/jobs.aspx
Curator and Director of Herbarium
Missouri Botanical Garden, 2345 Tower Grove Ave., St. Louis, Missouri, United States of America, Req. #273. Posted Wednesday, 5 May 2021
Summary: Oversees and manages the Herbarium Department which is responsible for all activities connected with the acquisition, storage, care, and access to plant specimens in the herbarium collection and the management and access of their associated data for Garden staff, students, research visitors, outside users, and the general public.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Supervises staff involved in all aspects of research collection management, including such tasks as shipping and receiving of specimens, data entry, specimen processing, mounting, filing, collection access, etc.
* Hires, trains and oversees the daily activities of department employees.
* Creates and manages the Herbarium Department budget.
* Responsible for the strategic growth and improvement of the research collection and its long-term care.
* Develops partnerships and collaborates with other herbaria, establishing cooperative agreements for mutually strengthening both collections and relationships that promote botanical research.
* Conducts independent research in plant systematics or a related field.
* Identifies potential funding sources and writes proposals to secure external funding for collections-related projects; Works within MBG established guidelines in preparing and monitoring grant proposal budgets.
* Participates in scientific meetings and delivers lectures to professional organizations, both nationally and internationally, and the general public as requested.
* Serves as the point person for all inquiries, internal and external, related to collections, and scientific information.
* Supervises the acquisition and use of data in databases and from other sources for plant research.
* Takes a proactive role in developing appropriate policies for all aspects of access and use of the research collections and their associated data.
* Takes responsibility for complying with collections-related international, national, and state laws, maintaining permits, and preparing required reporting.
* Ensures that all applicable safety standards are followed; informs employees/students/volunteers of safety guidelines, methods to reduce hazards. Reports all accidents, injuries, and near-miss accidents immediately.
* Behaves and communicates in a manner that promotes and fosters a culture of teamwork and cooperation, within the Science and Conservation Division and throughout the Garden, with co-workers, supervisors/managers, volunteers, visitors, and employees.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
More information about the Taxacom